Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings from the United States

4 posters

Go down

Greetings from the United States Empty Greetings from the United States

Post  Basileis Absolom Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:22 pm

Hello there. I go by Absolom, a fellow Hellenophile, and for 12 years I have fought in a smallish LARP located in the Washington, D.C. area called Darkon (the same one the movie was based on). I am one of two basileiades of Laconia, a partially fictitious, stylized Spartan unit (imagine if the Lacedaemons had retained their power and sovereignty into the 13th century A.D.).

I came across your boards by finding Oenos' leather cuirass post on Google and you guys appear impressively committed to the ancient Greek way of life. I'd love to learn more about your sport, but alas, I cannot find any links to it on this board. Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction?

If I'm ever in England, can I come check you guys out?

Best regards,

Basileis Absolom of Laconia
Knight of the Realm of Darkon

Basileis Absolom
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Greetings from the United States Empty Re: Greetings from the United States

Post  Wozzi Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi,

The main site for the organisers of this event is http://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/odyssey

It's a payable larp event and essentially pits Greeks against, Rome, Persia, Carthage and Egypt.
There's rules and full details on the site. There's already a Spartan group but that wouldn't stop you playing one should you ever visit the UK

Smile

Wozzi
Wozzi
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post  Basileis Absolom Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:46 pm

Wow, looks like a blast. I love the concept behind the game. I really wish we had something like that over here.

What are your weapons and shields made of: foam or latex? Do you pull your shots?

Best regards,

Basileis Absolom of Laconia
Knight of the Realm of Darkon

Basileis Absolom
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Post  kapaneus Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:25 pm

Foam covered in latex
We do pull our blows but it's a little rougher than most other LRP systems according to some people.
Also we use stab safe spears.
kapaneus
kapaneus
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin (Aegis Hellas) Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:34 am

Hey,

The weapons are made with a fibre glass core covered in high density foam which in turn is coated in latex. The shields are made from layered high density foam which is reinforced with leather in key areas.

It is not a full contact sport blows should be pulled other wise you will get pulled up by the refs. Stab safe spears are also in use in this event. Fighting is only a small part of th event, there is a considerable ammount of politicking gonig on as well as the greek nation has no leader. It is ruled by a council of the various group leaders, it can be quite interesting!

I think UK larp is quite different to the US and you'd be more than welcome to join in.

Spent some time in the DC area a few years ago, awesome place.

Colin (Aegis Hellas)
Colin (Aegis Hellas)
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum