Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making an IC tent

+4
JonoDog
TimDog
Steve (Aegis Hellas)
Matthew - Aegis Hellas
8 posters

Go down

Making an IC tent Empty Making an IC tent

Post  Matthew - Aegis Hellas Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:56 pm

I had a go at making a prototype for an ic tent, what do you think?
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=200623&id=656564430&l=fcb6104735

Matthew - Aegis Hellas
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Making an IC tent Empty Re: Making an IC tent

Post  Steve (Aegis Hellas) Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:41 am

Mate we will never all fit in that! Where are you going to find canvas? You will also need to consider water proofing. Maybe keep an eye on Ebay too in case something comes up.
Steve (Aegis Hellas)
Steve (Aegis Hellas)
Hoplite
Hoplite

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew - Aegis Hellas Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:36 am

I am going to the local material shop to see if i can get roll ends not necessary canvas as it just needs to look right but i will be picky about what i use. As for waterproofing you can buy it in any camping shop.

That is scaled down so it would be aprox - 6ft hight and 15ft long 5 ft wide. I will be making adjustments hence the prototype so i will be making it wider and changing the body shape will postmore pictures when I set it up properly.

I will be making a two man tent first to get practice in forthe larger group tent.

Matthew - Aegis Hellas
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Post  TimDog Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:07 am

I might have a contact who can supply waterproofed canvas. I'll be seeing them at the Gathering and will ask. Alternatively contact Graham from Tallows as he made his trade stall.

Cheers

Tim

TimDog
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew - Aegis Hellas Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:55 am

could you pm me the contact info for tallows and would be good if you could ask for me, anything to bring the cost down would be much aprieciated.

Also there are now pictures of the tent set up better and containing an action figure for scale. The hight is short but that was to do with the length of fabric I found to experiment with and will be corected for my next attempt..

Matthew - Aegis Hellas
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Post  JonoDog Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:11 pm

If you look at the Odyssey £30 kit challenge pages, the girls on there made 2 or 3 of their own tents.

Before you spend hard cash its prob worth picking their brains.

Jono

JonoDog
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Post  Panakeia Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:57 am

This the home page for Daisy and Jude. Some amazing things in there http://tutorials.abbott.me.uk/
Panakeia
Panakeia
Psiloi
Psiloi

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew - Aegis Hellas Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:47 am

Tents are expensive.
Their tent cost £110, the material cost £1.90 per metre so I will be watching ebay unless I get rich somehow and go to whaleys in Bradford which does fabric at £2.97 per metre. The large tent I was planing would need 40 metres of material so not cheap.

Matthew - Aegis Hellas
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Making an IC tent Empty Tent Maker

Post  Tim (Aegis Hellas) Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:54 pm

The main tent maker for reactment is my mate Victor James. Trying to find his number for ppl..but I have two tents from him which I ll bring next year....
Tim (Aegis Hellas)
Tim (Aegis Hellas)
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Post  Gimmon Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:04 am

I would seriously weigh up the cost of materials and time taken ( and pain in the arse ) vs how much it is to actually buy a tent.
My GF , friend and I , made a Teepee for malestrom , we may have saved a few quid but it took a long time.
Gimmon
Gimmon
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew - Aegis Hellas Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:58 am

Ihave found an american supplier andit lookslike i can get canvas for 90p permeter including postage,that makes it conciderably cheeper then beforesoit would beworth the effortif ican convince them to deliver to the uk.

Matthew - Aegis Hellas
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim (Aegis Hellas) Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:49 pm

If u go on ebay under miltra stuff u can find IC looking tents there. Still cant Vic s number but I am picking up my new tents soon so I ll get his numer and post it.

Tim
Tim (Aegis Hellas)
Tim (Aegis Hellas)
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Post  Oenos [Daedanauts] Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:10 am

Gimmon wrote:I would seriously weigh up the cost of materials and time taken ( and pain in the arse ) vs how much it is to actually buy a tent.
My GF , friend and I , made a Teepee for malestrom , we may have saved a few quid but it took a long time.

Ah, but making stuff yourself is just so damn rewarding. Smile
Oenos [Daedanauts]
Oenos [Daedanauts]
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew - Aegis Hellas Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:54 am

on other postes a number of large tents have been found so do people want another group tent even if it is just for kit storage, is anyone interested in me making an IC tent of this style made for them? I can ajudst the hight to suit your needs and would need a down payment to cover some of the material costs. If this supllier comes through for me I recon a two man tent would cost £40 -50. pm me if you are interested.

Matthew - Aegis Hellas
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Post  Panakeia Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:27 am

Are you going to overcome the big posibility of water getting though the seams where pieces join up. That i would have thought was a big issue
Panakeia
Panakeia
Psiloi
Psiloi

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew - Aegis Hellas Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:25 pm

the seams will be folded over on the inside so it should not be a problem (hopefully), the people on the site where i got the design from dont recon it's a problem.

Matthew - Aegis Hellas
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew - Aegis Hellas Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:58 am

ordered fabric from America cost £90 for 25 yards, but this is double weave with fire,mold and water resistant coatings on it makes a thinner and more hard waring poles where from RL Trim in Dorset - £40 for the set, pegs I had lying around and leather offcuts from earlier experiments will make peg loops.

Not cheap but much cheaper then a new equivalent size and shaped army/scout tent at (cheapest source i found) £375.

Now for hours and hours and hours of sewing, i will be able to do running fell seams in my sleep by Odyssey.

ps new pics on link of tent i will be making and pattern for other brave soles to attempt.

Matthew - Aegis Hellas
Helot
Helot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down